Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Missoula in the summer

is a pretty neat place. The city does A LOT I think -- there are always programs and events at the library and downtown. I also think they do a good job of keeping you informed -- although that may have something to do with the fact that we were getting the newspaper. We ordered 12 weeks of Sunday paper back in January and then they sent us a notice that we were getting every day for free until the middle of June. I kind've miss it now that it's done! And they always have suppliments about what's going on around town.

So today Megan and I went to Out To Lunch. It's a weekly Wednesday program where they set up tents and tables at Caras Park and vendors from a lot of the local restaurants come out and sell lunch. There are bands or singers that come and play music and people just lounge around on the grass, under the trees, and by the river. So Megan and I got lunch (ok I did) and sat and listened and watched people. There was a large group of ladies from the Red Hat Society (or whatever it is) -- you know, the older women who dress in red and purple and wear red and purple hats -- and oh what hats they were! I would've taken a picture but I didn't want to be rude or annoying or whatever. I did however take a picture of this guy SURFING IN THE RIVER. I didn't even know that you could do that! THe Clark Fork River is running high and fast because of a hot weekend in the beginning of May that melted the snow pack and then persistent rainfall afterwards. As you can see, there were some persistent rapids that he just went into and surfed! He fell off a couple of times, and given how rapids are formed, I'm surprised he didn't crack his head open. He drew quite a crowd though so if he had there would have been plenty of people to call 911. This is the M for the University of Montana. It seems to be a popular thing in the west because Idaho State had an I, I know that BYU has a Y, etc. Anyway, you can't really see it in the picture, but the hike to the M looks atrocious. It's steep switchbacks all the way up. Needless to say, Chopper and I have no desire to climb it, although it's supposed to give you a great view of Missoula.

No comments: