Friday, March 26, 2010

Marine Corps Museum

Today we took my mom to see the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico, Virginia. Ok we all were excited for it because Chopper and I hadn't seen it either! It's a fairly small museum but I thought it was really good actually. They had sectional displays on becoming a marine -- complete with booths where you could hear what they yell at you in boot camp -- the history of the marine corps, and all of the major wars that we've (they've) been involved in. I had no idea that the Marine Corps actually started practically with the beginning of this nation. I guess it's because the Air Force didn't start until there was actual aircraft (go figure that one out), I always just think of our nation as having an army and a navy. The Marine Corps seems to be almost all-purpose in a way -- they go anywhere and do anything! I was very impressed.

There ended up being a ton of people there. There was an officer candidate school graduation that started at one p.m. and so there were a ton of people in nice clothes milling around and then a lot of military in their dress uniforms. I love a man in uniform! Chopper is still hot of course but can I just say how GOOD HE LOOKED in uniform!!!! Despite the crowds, we were able to maneuver pretty well. The only thing that was hard was of course chasing Megan around and I didn't get to read all that I wanted to. There were also a few exhibits with gunfire and set up like you were actually in the place. I thought they were really neat but they did scare her so we took turns going in those. Little boys would LOVE it I think and actually, we might have to drag my brother James there when he gets home from his mission because he's always liked the idea of the military.

Anyway, if you're even in the area, it's definitely worth the trip, especially since it was free! I of course forgot the camera so I pulled these pictures from the web. And the website is http://www.usmcmuseum.org/

No comments: