Thursday, April 10, 2008

April is National Poetry Month!

I completely spaced this until yesterday. That's what I get for living in a mommy bubble! Megan and I are going to start reading Shel Silverstein for the rest of the month I think. But I love poetry. Its hard to teach and learn but I do love it. Someday, my dream is to have a magnificent library, preferably like the one on Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and have one wall with pictures of my family, nature, architecture, and framed poetry. So in honor on National Poetry Month I have added my favorite poetry website from the Academy of American Poets to my list and this is my favorite poem in the world and some pictures that I think really illustrate the poem. I hope I don't get into copywrite trouble -- he's been dead for hundreds of years so I don't think that he'll care. Maybe he'll be flattered. I guess I'll find out when I see him after I die right?

Pied Beauty by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Glory be to God for dappled things--
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced--fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.



No comments: