Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Today I am Grateful

My book club just finished a book called Today We Are Rich by Tim Sanders.  It's a book about building confidence and much of it is geared towards the working man (or woman), but many of his principles can be applied of course to everyone.    I've been feeling lately that I need to express gratitude more and remember all of the blessings that I have and his book had a chapter on gratitude with an interesting (in a good way) idea:  rephrase your have-tos as your get-tos.

So today I "got to" multi-task through multiple disaster situations and increase my capacity for dealing with messes.  If the end of the world involves A&D ointment, broken glass, or sibling rivalry, I'm ready!!

But I am grateful.
I am grateful that dish soap cleans up an entire (new) tube of A&D ointment off of carpet, clothing, and the perpetrator (that would be Abby).
I am grateful that when Megan dropped the very large glass jar from the countertop that she only got one small cut on her foot.
I am grateful that my children DON'T fight when they do something fun with mommy -- like painting or baking, or when they watch tv.
I am grateful that William chose these moments to NOT be hungry when he usually is.

I sound sarcastic, don't I?  Well it's been a long day.  But because I survived it -- I can look back and be grateful.
The days are long but the years are short -- Gretchen Rubin
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it -- Anne of Green Gables (although I don't think I quite quoted that directly!)