Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'm in Trouble

For a couple of reasons.  The first is that I did not post these pictures yet.

I'd like to introduce you to Chopper's new love.  Yes, he is in the process of naming her (which may be a much easier process than naming Lloyd Voldemort . . . ).  Why is it that cars and grills are always female?  Anyway.  My parents sent Chopper some money for his birthday and so I gave in and we made up the difference and bought him a new grill with smoker.

He is so excited.
In fact, the night that we bought it, we had to celebrate with steaks.  That he did not cook on this grill.  I know -- he just decided that 2 steaks were not important enough for the inauguration.  But it will happen.  And since this covers not only his birthday but Father's Day as well, we may have to have a party for Father's Day and grill for our friends.  And he's planning a brisket for when my mom arrives.  Because nothing celebrates the birth of a son like smoking barbecue!!!

The second reason that I'm in trouble is probably really going to come back to bite me big time.  The last 3 nights we've had thunderstorms and Abby wakes up every time.  So we've taken her back to her room where she either cries for an hour because we put the gate up or continues to get out of bed for an hour because we leave it down.  It's been much easier to stay in her room so she will stay in bed and go back to sleep.

But last night Chopper was up with her for an hour, maybe two (I'm not really sure because I was out cold pretty much -- I have been soooo tired lately).  All I know is that he was gone when I got up to use the bathroom (which happens more frequently than it should.  You know, there should be a law that prior to having a baby you have a month where you get at least 10 hours of solid sleep every night).  Anyway, major thunderstorms again last night and so Abby was up, again, at 5:15 a.m.  So here are my options: let her cry it out and listen to her on the monitor for an hour or stay in her room for an hour and tell her every ten minutes that I'm still here and go to sleep.  Which at that point will be almost 6:30 and then it's practically time to get up.  So I broke the rules.  I brought Abby to bed with me.  She laid down, rolled over, and was probably asleep in 10 minutes.  And so was I.  And she slept until 7:30.  It was lovely.

But you know and I know what's going to happen for the next week.  One moment of weakness is going to cost me a week of getting her to stay in her bed.
So yes, I'm really in trouble.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

In December when Josh worked nights the whole month I started bringing Melynn in to bed with me when she woke me up. It was totally worth the sleep training we had to do to reverse the issue. I would never have made it through the month with her crying every night.

Sometimes you do what you have to do.