Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Two doctors appointments in two days does not apparently mean answers.  It means questions.  Questions that need to have decisions made.  Where is my parenting manual again?

So doctor #1 was my OB-GYN who had good news and bad news.  Good news is that I no longer have a low-lying placenta so I don't need to worry about a C-section.  Bad news is that the last day she personally can deliver me is July 14 -- my due date is the 13th and I have a tendency to go late (at least 2 for 2).  So do I induce or do I have someone else deliver me?  Megan was delivered by a doctor I had known for about 2 weeks whom I loved.  Abby was delivered by a doctor that I saw throughout my pregnancy that I hated.  Dilemmas.  I don't really want to be induced.  Sigh.

Doctor #2 was the psychologist we had taken Megan to and we went today to find out her results.  The long and short of it is that Megan is not anywhere near the autism spectrum or ADD/ADHD.  In fact, she mostly tested off the charts intellectually.  Where she fell below average was in fine motor skills and the doctor believes that it's partly the discrepancy between that and her high mental capacity that causes her frustration and behavior issues.  She also wants me to have her tested metabolically to see if her bowel issues are physical in nature and I have no idea how I'm going to do that seeing as it took 3 of us just to give her a shot.  How are they supposed to draw enough blood for a panel??????  She also suggested seeing an occupational and speech therapist to gauge her eating habits and fine motor skills and then recommended a parenting counselor for Chopper and I.  So some information but nothing really definitive.  Of course there's more to it, I don't want to write it all down here.

Lots to think about and consider, that's for sure.  


Alicia said...

It figures you would get a super smart kid. They definitely are a challenge. Good luck!

aidanjordan said...

If it is any help, both Shelby and Joey were induced a few days early and both went really well. Such a tough thing to decide! I'm sure you'll be in good hands no matter what.

P.S. You see Dr. Holt, right? If she isn't available after that date, could you ask for a specific doctor? Or do they just stick you with whoever is on call? If you can choose, I highly recommend Dr. Zaretsky. I had to see him in addition to Dr. Holt and he is fantastic.