Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's the Little Things

There are so many little things that brighten life everyday.

Today it was a pretty empty Wal-mart! I couldn't believe how wonderful it was to shop without a thousand people everywhere. And all the stores have been swamped because of the continuous bad weather. Thank goodness that will finally slow down. Virginia has set a new record for snow this winter -- 53+ inches since the first snowfall in December. That tops the record of 50 inches set in 1996 and I heard somewhere that the next record after that goes back to 1895. Not sure about that one though. But the days have been in the 40s, the roads are clear, and hopefully there won't be too much more after this. The school kids were out for 2 weeks and I think have 2-hour delays all this week!

2 other things I'm excited about today though: First, our blog book finally came! BIG BIG THANKS to my friend Alicia for telling me about how she does hers. It's a website called blurb.com and it literally pulls the text and photos from your blog so that all you have to do are pick the styles, layouts, and format the text how you want it. I spent a lot of time formatting but in all it only took me about 2 weeks and now we have a hard copy of everything from the past two years! It was so fun actually to format it because it was a neat review of the things that have happened to us and everything that we've gone through with Megan (it is kind've Megan saturated!!). But the book is beautiful and, while I'll do a few things differently next year, it was completely worth it. What a way to keep up on your family history and have it last. And yet I don't feel like it's too personal because it's all stuff I've been willing to post. And it makes me not feel so bad about being a sporadic journal writer!!





The second is this car seat canopy. A woman in my ward has one for her new baby and I fell in love on first sight. With Megan, I was always looking for a way to cover her up without smothering her and keeping the handle of the carrier cloth free so my grip didn't slip. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner! And when she told me that her sister made it for her -- well that was the end of that! A few sales and coupons for fabric at Joanns (which is really cute actually -- they are getting better and better) and about an hour of sewing, pressing, and measuring and voila!! I think it turned out really well and I can't wait to use it! Ok 5 weeks and counting . . . Now on to my next project . . .


3 comments:

Alicia said...

Kristy, I've seen canopies like this but with elastic around the edge to keep it hooked on if the weather is windy. It looks beautiful. I LOVE the purple side. I'm also glad your book turned out as you wanted. Yeah!

James and Kista said...

Love the car seat cover up. Colors are awesome! Good job Kristy!

Gary Shirley Ann Aston Family Blog said...

I enjoy your blog Kristy and seeing your cute little Megan. I didn't know you were so crafty, your cover up is darling, and you're right--a great idea! Considering the weather you're having you're going to need it. Take care. Aunt Shirley Ann