Monday, February 15, 2010

Emergency Preparedness

Chopper and I decided that we needed to take some of our tax return and get a really good jump start on our food storage and emergency preparedness. Nothing like a good snowstorm to remind you of what you need to do! Today we went to Costco and started pricing items that we would use in a short-term supply and we're trying to cover all angles -- not just food, but things like: if the power goes out and we need to conserve water, we should have paper plates and cups and things to cut down or eliminate the number of dishes that need to be cleaned.

I've also decided I need to start experimenting more. After all, what's the point of spending money on something that you don't know how to use and will just go to waste instead of getting rotated!

So taking all this into consideration, plus the fact that we have a very young family, I've decided to start with powdered milk. The next time I go to Walmart, I'm buying one box and we're going to do it all: drink it, bake with it, make ice cream -- ok maybe we won't make ice cream . . . but I'll post the results just the same. After all, isn't blogging partly about sharing useful information?

2 comments:

foodstr2 said...

You may not be able to afford professionally-packed storable foods. So, you *might* want to read

http://www.internet-grocer.net/how-long.htm

to see some alternatives.

James and Kista said...

I am excited to hear about your progress! Keep us posted! (pun intended... hardee har har) ;)