Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lifestyle Change

Ahh the days of babyhood.  Nursing every hour or two.  No sleep.  Having to carry someone around with you all the time.  I'd forgotten what it was like to have a newborn in the house!

We are surviving without my mom so far which is very good news.  Unfortunately, William continues to be congested and a little rashy and it seems that the common consensus is that he may have a sensitivity to dairy.  So I've gone cold turkey on dairy and let me tell you, it's hard!  

Of course part of the problem is that I immediately want what I can't have (of course)!  But when you're hard-wired for one thing, it's hard to let go.  I can't sneak cheese when I'm grating it for dinner, I can't eat Megan or Abby's leftovers, I'm reading all the labels when I shop, and I have to consciously remind myself to pour almond milk on my cereal rather than regular milk.  Oh and dairy free butter does NOT make good garlic bread.  At least only my piece was ruined.  

But I have been surprised by the things I'm not missing out on.  Unsweetened almond milk is pretty darn close to regular milk -- I'm not drinking it but it's fine for substitutions in baking and pouring on cereal and oatmeal.  Almond Dream ice cream -- pretty darn good!  One hard thing is that I absolutely refuse to make 2 meals.  After all, some days it can be hard enough to get one on the table!  So finding delicious, dairy-free meals that we don't have to repeat over and over may be a bit of a challenge.  I am open for recipes!!

Which reminds me, what am I making for dinner tonight???

No comments: