Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Sorry about the massive picture right up front -- I haven't yet figured out how to size it down a little . . . but I know that it's just what you needed to start your day off right!

Our holidays were fabulous! We drove to Michigan and spent Christmas (plus some) with my ENTIRE FAMILY! Ok ok, James, my youngest brother, is on a mission in Idaho so of course he wasn't there but I don't really count that because it's not like he's deliberately avoiding us (I think . . .). In all our years of marriage, this is the 1st we've spent with my family and only the 2nd it wasn't just us (last year was his family). It really was a treat.

The really funny part is that we went to Michigan prepared for snow snow and more snow. They did have some on the ground and I suppose over two and a half weeks they collected another few inches but we completely missed the massive blizzard that slammed Virginia right before Christmas! It thought that was pretty funny myself.

Megan loved being at her grandparents -- some of her favorite things included watching everyone play Wii, particularly MarioKart ("cars? ok."), eating wonderful Christmas goodies and Grandma's wonderful cooking ("cookies? ok. Cucumbers? ok."), looking at Arthur, who was not allowed out, over the gate ("Hi dog!") and playing in the snow ("outside cold? ok."). And yes, that's all Megan. She asks you for something and immediately follows up with "ok" as if we've already agreed to what she wants!

Christmas morning was particularly fun even though she really wasn't in to opening presents until the toy appeared and she could play. But Chopper and I found the worst pair of salt and pepper shakers for my parents (long, funny story -- let me know if you really want to hear it but it's now a running gag gift) and then played a really good joke on my brother Jeff by taking his GPS out of the box and wrapping up a map and compass instead (you know, GPS on a budget). You probably had to be there. The long and short of it was that it was a really wonderful holiday and I have a really wonderful family. Chopper got to watch football, I went shopping with my mom, oh and we did take a trip to Frankenmuth and Bronner's Christmas store -- the biggest one in the world!

And now we're back and I guess the next big events will be my 30th birthday (can't believe it!), Megan's 2nd birthday (that one either!) and a new baby! 2010 is going to be a very busy and very good year. AND I figured out that while our computer won't take our camera, we can circumvent the system by putting them onto CD at the store and then using the pictures. Whoopee!! So enjoy the delight that is our Christmas!





Don't you love Megan's snow suit? Obviously she was not happy the first time I put it on her but once she realized the purpose of it, she was fine! She was such a marshmallow puff because really it was too big, but it didn't stop her from going! Oh and she did absolutely refuse to wear boots. Tantrum and everything. All my mother could say was, "she's your daughter!"





The lovely lady with Megan is my sister-in-law Denise who is my only one on my side (and hence my favorite!). She loved Megan to death and Megan loved her and they took a really good picture! Sigh. I love our new camera but it does not make up for a 2-year old's lack of cooperation! Actually, we turned out quite a few that we good this year. That's what happens when you can delete the other 200! Anyway, Chopper and I started a tradition a few years back of making and decorating a gingerbread house. This year I decided I did not want to make the dough so we bought a pre-made kit. Chopper says it's cheating. I say when you wait for everyone to arrive and join in, you don't have time for everything else! Megan really enjoyed the eating, I mean decorating! She actually did put things on the house though if you can believe it. And she ate a ton of the candy too of course.

We took family pictures before everyone had to leave of course. If you get my parents Christmas letter then A) do not believe what they tell you about our chosen names for the baby and B) you're getting the nice picture. But the goofy one is typical Gasser clan -- in fact, getting everyone to stay serious for a picture is about as easy as getting Megan to hold still! There have to be either threats or treats involved! And even then, eventually we just have to give up and go with the best one. It's a lot of fun and completely worth it though!

1 comment:

James and Kista said...

What a fun family! Love the snow suit pics. Oh wait, I love ALL the pics! So glad you guys figured out a way to get them on here!