Thursday, August 7, 2008

Picky Eater

Disclaimer: If you tire of my Megan stories, I'm sorry. It's just all so new and fascinating to me!

But this one shouldn't have been new.

Since very early in life, Megan has been a picky eater.

Sorry -- disclaimer #2: If you don't want to read about my nursing experiences, please stop reading now.

So babies who are exclusively breastfed shouldn't be picky right? After all, it's not like they have options. Au contraire mes amis! (How's that for 2 years of college French?) Megan has a very definate side preference. If she isn't settled just so on one side, she refuses to eat. She takes the other side all the time, every time though. Needless to say, this has caused some issues with supply and demand and a "fun" new game I like to call upside-down head.

So rice cereal isn't bad. It isn't great either. But then I move to peas. Every mother out there is probably groaning to herself -- I can't believe you started with peas! I read today (after 3 days of peas mind you) that it's better not to start with them because they have a strong flavor. I love peas, it seemed logical at the time.

Day 1 of peas: not bad -- seemed to take to them ok. They really taste like canned peas (which actually I don't like -- I prefer fresh or frozen).
Day 2 of peas (morning): not so interested -- not opening her mouth, pushing it out with tongue, etc. I figure she's tired because it's almost time for her morning nap so I'll try again later.
Day 2 of peas (afternoon): Shoot -- disclaimer: I already know Megan has an amazing gag reflex. She will gag on her fingers too far down her throat, air when she cries hard or gets too excited, etc. So I'm trying to feed her peas and with the ones I'm getting into her mouth she is making that gag face -- you all know the one that I mean -- open mouth, tongue slightly curled, a slight retching noise. This is weird because she's had peas before and I don't think they're too thick and they're definately not chunky. Maybe she's half swallowing and then gagging on it. But the face is really funny so I get the camera.

Megan is in the middle of gagging when I raise the camera to take the picture and this is the shot that comes out:
I'm sorry, what child who is genuinely gagging stops to smile for the camera? Not to mention that I could see the peas still in her mouth. What a little turkey. I think I'm in for a picky eater.

Day 3 of peas: Yes I know, I tried it again. This time I mixed it with rice cereal -- not so much. So I tried cooking up some frozen and blending them really well with a little water and breast milk (which, by the way, is very difficult for me to extract independantly). She did better. Particularly when I let her feed herself.
I think in reality she just wanted to chew on the spoon and the peas happened to be there. But I'm not going to complain.

No comments: