Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I heard the funniest commercial on the radio yesterday.
This kids comes on and says he's going out trick or treating so everyone needs to stock up on candy because he'll remember "until he's old and 20" which house was the dud and which one had the good stuff.

I laughed out loud, partly because IT IS SO TRUE!!!
I distinctly remember one Halloween when I was about 14 (I know, a little old for trick-or-treating) and I went with my friend in her neighborhood because the houses were closer together and one house in particular had a long driveway through trees but when you got there it was full size candy bars!  I don't know if I'll ever forget that.

We were a good house this year.  I bought way too much candy having no idea how many trick-or-treaters to expect and while we had a good amount, it wasn't gobs.  So everyone got handfuls of candy.
At least I won't be eating it!  (Ok except for the small part that I pulled for my own snacking purposes tonight . . . mmm, Sweetarts!)

Actually one of the reasons we ended up with more candy than kids is that we BOTH took the girls out for their first time early into the evening.  Megan was a doll at every house (except the one where she tripped and you could hear her screams for miles) and Abby insisted on walking (and carrying her pumpkin) up until the very end.  The last few houses I carried her until we saw the door and then she fought to get down and go get her candy.  She completely got it.

And now both girls are totally sugared up and in bed late enough that hopefully they will each (and both) sleep through the night (because last night was horrific and guess who woke up every single time -- 4 total -- and then an additional 2 for my own nightmares -- ick) and sleep in in the morning.

A mom can dream.

But it was a good first "traditional" Halloween.
Hope yours is as happy!


Oh and it's now 4 days (COUNT THEM FOUR) until I leave for a fabulous weekend getaway to the International Quilt Festival in Houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: