Saturday, January 10, 2015

Best Birthday Ever!

Normally for my birthday I'm very happy just celebrating at home with dinner and dessert and maybe a weekend date with Chopper.  Oh I do also get a Saturday to shop without kids -- like a whole day, not just a run to the store kind of thing.  

This year though I have been itching to have a party!!  We all throw fantastic parties for our kids -- why not ourselves?  And I'm 35 this year which feels big!  Not old -- I still don't feel old -- but it's weird to think I'm already 35.  I swear I was graduating from college and getting married like a week ago.

So then of course the big question becomes theme and because I love all things British and tea party and such I had to do a Downton Abbey theme!  It was so fun!

Ok first the pictures from my ACTUAL birthday on Tuesday.

I didn't want a cake (knowing how much stuff I would have for the party Friday) and Chopper suggested creme brulee!  The kids don't actually like it all that much.  They eat all the berries and then then crunchy layer of crystallized sugar on top and that's about it but making it at home is cheap and easy so I'm not going to complain! 

This little turkey:
I sit next to him at dinner because he's an extreme mommy's boy and throws a fit about half the time if I don't.  Everyone's singing "Happy Birthday" and in the middle of the last line he leans over and blows out my candle and starts clapping!!  He was so proud of himself.  Lesson learned though -- hold him back when the girls have their birthdays because they will not be happy about that!

group shot!

Ok party.  I got LUCKY and found a dress and shoes at a thrift shop for $5 each!!!  I added some length to the dress and bought opera length gloves and a lot of sparkly jewelry at Sam Moon (a lot).  Chopper rented a tux jacket (with tails) from a costume shop and we were Lord and Lady White Acre for the night!

Apparently the lighting in my dining room is atrocious and all the pictures are weird colors.  

See those shoes????? I'm not normally a shoe fanatic but t-strap shoes (very 20s) in my size for $5 is something worth celebrating!  On another note, they are the tallest shoes I own so now my feet hurt!
My fabulous friends that dressed up too!  We had a great turnout actually -- most people just didn't dress up!



 
 
 The spread.  We were dressed for dinner but ate like it was tea -- shortbread, pound cake, sandwiches, scones with lemon curd (divine!) and blackcurrant jam.  Tea of course.



My mantle with our January snowflake garland.  I've decided my mantle is my place to decorate for holidays and stuff.  Small, easy, and festive! 


Goody bags to take home -- just tea bags and cookies but very cute.


Yeah it was fun.  I'll have to do another one for 40!!!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Cute! Looks like a fun time. Happy Birthday!