Friday, January 20, 2012

Weekly Update

That seems to be all I'm capable of at the moment.  It's a been a week busy with Relief Society "stuff", kid "stuff" , and lack of energy "stuff".  We haven't even left the house all that much either . . . 

I guess the really big deal is that I took Megan to see a therapist on Monday for an evaluation.  This is a therapist that works in occupational and sensory integration therapy.  She was recommended to me by a friend whose son has issues that sound very similar to Megan's.  Megan, somewhat unfortunately, had a GREAT day on Monday. Don't get me wrong, I treasure great days, but when you're seeing a therapist for the first time, you kind've want them to show the side that has brought you there in the first place!  Regardless, when we spoke briefly after the session, she said that she is definitely seeing some motor planing issues with Megan.  She has difficulty going from point A to point E because she can't figure out the process.  That leads to frustration which leads to tantrums which leads to angry, screaming Megan and frustrated, crying mommy.  Chopper and I will go back for a full parent conference in about a week and a half and discuss what she's seeing as well as what we see and her recommendations for therapy.  Since the rest of this week has been pretty horrendous, I have to say I am very excited to perhaps get some tools under my belt and some professional help.  For Megan and I both.

So it's been a rough week.  But these past two days have been in the mid-70s for weather and so even though we haven't been able to get out of the house much due to tantrums, we have been able to get out and play at the park.  Thank goodness being outside almost always makes my girl happy.  And being in the bathtub.  Anyway.  Today we went and played with friends and had a great time at a wonderfully enclosed park where the girls can run and I can chat.  It's nice for me to get a break too!  Yesterday we went to our little play area down the street and then explored in the trees.  I took along the camera because I know that ya'll are suffering from too many words and not enough pictures and the girls were very compliant.  Megan was so compliant that she started posing and there's some great shots of her vogue-ing out (is that a word?).  Abby will say cheese but she doesn't smile and she doesn't look at the camera when she does it.  But she's still cute as a button.

 Oh I forgot this one -- Megan was making a quilt on the floor.  She still just loves to organize fabric, use pins, play with buttons -- all those things that make her my quilting and sewing girl!

 And this was too funny to not take a picture of -- Abby after breakfast (hence the food on her face) the morning after she's had a bath and gone to bed with wet hair.  She is quite the little fuzzball and in desperate need of yet another haircut!
Action shots of course . . . 

 And then here are all the posing ones -- if you need copies, you know my phone number!!



 Posing with sticks was one of Megan's favorite things to do.

 I LOVE this one how Abby mimics her sister.  Because it happens ALL THE TIME!


 Nice little foot pop.

 And another stick picture.





Happy spring?  I don't think it's here for good but I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Kate F. said...

Hey, my oldest sees two wonderful occupational therapists (one at school, one at Children's Hospital). They work on motor planning and sensory integration with him and recommended a couple books that I've gotten A LOT out of... "101 Games and Activities for Children With Autism, Asperger’s and Sensory Processing Disorders" by Tara Delaney has modifications to games children already love/play to focus on motor skills, communication, social sense, home and outdoor activities. "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun" by Carol Kranowitz is fabulous; it gives a nice explanation of sensory integration and chapters are broken into the five senses. Not trying to insinuate that Megan is on the Spectrum, but we've learned a lot about OT, sensory integration, and motor planning on our journey. If you want to talk (because I know these evaluations can be overwhelming), just give me a call!