Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is it Safe?

I think so.  My mom should be on an airplane flying to Dallas right now and I don't think that checking my blog will be high priority since she'll see the girls in a few hours.  So I can finally post her Mother's Day "experiments".  See my mom gets a lot of gifts that are the result of me trying new things.  I don't think she minds though . . . 
 This was experiment #1 -- it's a miniature quilt that I had saved the pattern for from a magazine but didn't know what I would do with such a small quilt.  The cup kind've gives you a sense of size but to clarify further, it's about as big as a cookie sheet!  Bingo!  Instead of just a regular quilt, I added a layer of Inusl-Bright to make it into an extra-large potholder!  I don't know why I haven't thought of this before.  It seems like when I cook and bake it all happens at once and I don't have the stove space to put my hot pans but I need my potholders to get them out of the oven.  Voila!  A larger potholder to protect the countertop!  Now I just have to make some for me.  Oh and while the front is nice and pretty . . . 
 The back is fun chickens!  I saw this fabric at a quilt show and thought of my mom because she loves chickens.  But who would actually make a quilt out of this?  I'm sure someone would and it would be beautiful but I thought mom would appreciate it more on the back -- surprise!
 I also wanted t play around with doing binding by machine so I made her regular-size potholders out of all these fun fabrics.  The result?  They're still really cute but in the future I'll stick to doing the binding by hand.
 Happy Mother's Day!!!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Wow. That's all I can say. Your mother will love them!