Thursday, December 11, 2014

With Love For Granny

This is the best picture I have of Granny.  And it's the Granny I knew.  I really should get Chopper to write a post about her because she was like a second mom to him and had lived with his family from the time he was three.  But I'm thinking about her now and dug this picture out so today you get my perspective.  Later I'll also post her obituary.

Anyway, Chopper's Granny passed away on Thanksgiving Day and he drove the 12 hours to Florida and the 12 hours back so that he could be at her funeral.  I'm really glad he did.  She was 90 years old and these last few years had suffered a great physical and mental decline with Alzheimers and so, although we miss her, it was good for her to go.  Honestly?  Even though we have other relatives from both sides of the family who have already passed on, I love the thought of Granny being there to take care of Aaron.  I know that it doesn't work that way and that Aaron's spirit doesn't need to be taken care of but when I knew her she just loved on my children to no end.  Hugs, kisses, holding and playing, and feeding!  Granny loved to feed people.  There really isn't a better person to take care of Aaron and it makes me happy.

She was a selfless woman and hard-working.  It was an effort to get her to sit still even when she wasn't entirely capable.  If it needed to be done, she would do it.  She welcomed me into the family as one of her own and our children especially.  When we lived in Virginia she enjoyed Megan and Abby as young babies.  I'm sad that they won't get to know her now.

She lived an amazing full life from the stories that I've heard and that's why I need to have Chopper write a post -- so he can fill it with all the details of her life that I don't know and so that we'll be able to recall them over the years when we read our family history books.  I'll have to ask him to do it this weekend.

No comments: