Thursday, June 7, 2018

Le Château Du Haut-Kœnigsbourg

Now if that's not a conglomeration of French and German, I don't know what is.

The Vosges mountains were just as important to France as the Rhine river is to both France and Germany and they (the mountains) are peppered with ruins of castles and fortresses. This particular one was rebuilt I think in the early 1900s and intended to be a museum but it's been well done and we had a great exploration on our final stop before heading home.



 


 
The kids were really happy that they didn't have a guided tour (in English) and so we purchased audio guides and just wandered at our own pace. This also was good for us because we could let the kids play and not have to keep them quiet and calm.  William spent the ENTIRE time fighting some battle - shooting arrows out the windows, loading cannon, cutting down his sisters with the sword. He's really starting to love medieval era things. 

 This smile is the result of 25 pictures and then Chopper gave me moose antlers behind my back. She loves her dad. 

 These are the stone cutters marks so they would get paid for their work.
 


More arrows I think



 


 
The view from the top - even on a hazy day - was fantastic!


 


More arrows

 
 









The adorable little snake we saw on our walk back down to the car 

After this we actually made one more stop - to a French grocery store. Oh my heck I'm in love!!  The French have great food and the store was full of great ingredients. We bought a ton of non-perishable items - spices, tea, infused oils, mustard, cookies, soap . . . and I could totally go back. I love my German grocery stores too but this was awesome if you love to cook. And it was more American in setup which was kind've fun because it's been a loooong time. Also we paid for gas at the pump. In Germany there isn't any of that. First time in two years! It's the little things.

No comments: