Thursday, August 2, 2018

Castles Castles Everywhere

After we left Salzburg and Berchtesgaden we went and stayed in Oberammergau for a night to explore the castles. So for me and the kids, this was the third visit to Linderhof, Hohenschwangau, and Neuschwanstein for us (2nd for Chopper) but I really have a hard time telling visitors to go without us!  I am a castle fanatic!  So I won't post too many pictures because I've got a ton but here are a few good ones from our trip.

We stopped at Ettal Abbey for cheese of course

Oberammergau is known for two things - painted Bavarian Houses and the Passion Play. The story is that during the plague years, the townspeople prayed that they would be spared and they were. In gratitude they promised to perform a play on the Passion of the Christ every ten years. And they have faithfully done so from what I can tell!  The guesthouse we stayed in had pictures all over the walls of the owners in their costumes over the years. It's happening again in 2020 and I'm curious to go but we'll see.

I love this picture of Abby in front of Hohenschwangau!

Playing in the lake - it got hot!




Bronwyn and Jenn inside the Moorish house

Painted houses in Oberammergau


A church of course!

Two are pretty famous because they're well known stories painted in the traditional style - this is the Little Red Riding Hood House



And this is the Hansel and Gretel house





This one was great for posing like you're going up the stairs!


And we can't forget the meat vending machine!



Ok I lied - I still found plenty of pictures to post!!

No comments: